Security Guard upskilling course
Who Requires SIA refresher upskilling course
Security Guards holding an SIA license and want to renew their license may require undertaking this One-day qualification.
- Duration: 1/2 Days
- Guided learning hours (GLH): 4
- Mandatory Contact Hours Unit 1, 2 : 2 hours
- Credit Value: 2
Practical, written and multiple choice tests
Security Guard Top up upskilling course Overview
It is supported by the SIA to meet the mandatory SIA top-up requirements for Security Guards who undertook their qualification prior to the QCF Door Supervision qualifications and who need to renew their license. It comprises two units:
- Safety Awareness for Security Guards which covers knowledge of counter-terrorism issues.
- Principles of Minimising Personal Risks for Security Officers in The Private Security Industry, first aid, awareness and requirements in dealing with children and young people.
Entry Requirements for Top up Security Guard training
Security Guards who undertook their qualification prior to the QCF Door Supervision qualifications and who need to renew their licence. The licence should not be expired for more than 3 years.
Core Modules for the Qualification:
Unit 1: Principles of Terror Threat Awareness in the Private Security Industry
- Understand terror threats and the role of the security operative in the event of a threat
- Identify the different threat levels
- Recognise the common terror attack methods
- Recognise the actions to take in the event of a terror threat
- Identify the procedures for dealing with suspicious items
- Identify behaviours that could indicate suspicious activity
- Identify how to respond to suspicious behaviour
Unit 2: Principles of Minimising Personal Risks for Security Officers in The Private Security Industry
- Know how to minimise risk to personal safety at work.
- Identify responsibilities for personal safety at work.
- Identify situations that might compromise personal safety.
- Identify the risks of ignoring personal safety in conflict situations
- State the personal safety benefits of undertaking dynamic risk assessments.
- List ways to minimise risk to personal safety at work.
- Recognise the different types of personal protective equipment relevant to the role of a security officer
- State the purpose of using body-worn cameras (BWC)
- Identify strategies that can assist personal safety in conflict situations.
- Describe limits of own responsibility in physical intervention situations.
- Identify types of harm that can occur during physical interventions.
- Identify the personal safety advantages of mental alertness at work.
- State the benefits of reflecting on personal safety experiences.
- Know government guidance in relation to global (or critical) incidents
Centers must adhere to the conditions for delivery and assessment as listed in the SIA’s “Introduction to Learning Leading Towards Licence-linked Qualifications. Requirements for Awarding Organisations/Bodies and Training Providers” and the Centre Guide for Security Qualifications.
Assessment for the Safety Awareness unit is by externally set and marked multiple choice question paper.
Learner Entry Requirements
- This qualification is a regulatory requirement for relevant Security Guards therefore learners must have a Security guards SIA licence. It is the centres responsibility to check this and ensure that relevant records are available for audit purposes
- Security operatives are likely in the course of their work to be required to make calls to the emergency services, or need to communicate to resolve conflict. It is essential that security operatives are able to communicate clearly.
How is the Security Guard refresher course conducted?
Once you will book your training with us we shall send you a safety awareness workbook in your email. You are required to go through that workbook in your own time. Complete the workbook and bring the same on the day of your training. On the day of your upskilling course, you will be taught the Safety Awareness and would be examined from the contents of the safety awareness workbook that has been sent to you earlier.
Is the security guard up-skilling training difficult?
The security guard up-skilling training course is designed at level two which means it a basic training. Majority of the learners since they are already experienced manage to complete the qualification and exams in the first attempt
SIA Refresher Training for SIA Licence Renewal
There can be many reasons that you shall be required to undertake training again. To find out the conditions please read the article below. You can book your refresher training with any of the ongoing courses that we have. The cost of the refresher training shall be less than the actual cost of the course. To book and view the dates of courses click the buttons on your right.
Reasons for Security Refresher Training
There could be many reasons that you might need to undergo refresher training for renewal of you SIA security license.
You had done your qualification a for security guard but never made you Security Guard Licence so now if you go to SIA and ask them for grant of a license they shall ask you to undertake training again. In this case, you shall be required to undertake the complete training for the security guard course.
You had done the security guard training qualification a few years back and also had made your SIA license. Once now you shall go for renewal SIA shall ask you to contact a training provider and do training for two additional modules.
You had done the security guarding qualification a few years back now once you shall go for the renewal of your security license, you shall be required to undergo refresher training again as in a new module for the security guarding was included which is working in the private security industry.
What to do?
You don’t need to worry you can do all of your refresher training for door supervisor, security guarding or CCTV with us. The refresher training shall be conducted with the normal courses that we are conducting view our dates and you can book in for the refresher course. The price of a refresher course shall be less than a regular course.
Do I need to send my documents again to renew my door supervisor license?
In most of the cases you would not be required to send your original documents if you are renewing your license or applying to get a new license, however, we would advise you to have a look at the regulator’s website i.e. SIA to find out the latest policy in vogue
Why was the need felt for the door supervisor upskilling course?
In 2021 the old security guard qualification changed and new modules were added in the new QCF security guard training. Security Guards with the old qualification lacked the necessary knowledge, thus a need was felt that they should be equipped with the relevant skills and knowledge. Now all security guards renewing their licenses for security guarding would be required to do an additional one days training.
Security Guard up-skilling course training
This qualification is for all those secuirty guards who have a security guard qualification as well as a license; however, their security guard license or qualification is before October 2010. The reason for this new qualification is felt by SIA due to the fact that the previous security guard qualification did not have action counter terrorism module, whereas the new security guard qualification comprises of this module.
This is a half-day qualification in which you would be required to complete a workbook given by your tutor and then on the given day come and attend the safety awareness module. After that, you would be assessed by your tutor using various assessment methods.
We offer cheap security guard up-skilling qualifications through our self or our affiliates. We are an approved training provider delivering quality training services at affordable prices